Considerations about autographed jerseys authenticity.
What to consider before you buy signed jerseys
Whether it is for fun or profit (or both), every time you buy online an autographed jersey or any other signed memorabilia, the authenticity is a big issue to consider.
The easiest way to be sure you are getting a jersey authentically autographed by your favorite athlete is to buy it from the a reputable online store, like ProSportsMemorabilia, TodoFut, FansEdge and Fanatics among others. The main reason for this is that they get the autographed products they sell exclusively from the most reputable suppliers in the business, including Reebok, Nike, Adidas, Mounted Memories, Steiner Sports, Tri-Star Productions, and UDA (Upper Deck Authenticated).
Each of these major suppliers have proven and reliable authentication processes and they have licensed products from the Major leagues, MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL and MLS. They get the autographed jerseys and other signed items from paid athlete appearances and signings in which they have participated or from athletes under contract that sign the items for money.
Another advantage of buying an autographed jersey or item from recognized companies is that item will gain value over the years.
Special considerations for eBay
At eBay you can get anything you want, even things that can't be found anywhere else, but you have to be careful and pay special attention before you concrete the purchase. Here are some thing to have in mind when you buy something at eBay:
- Carefully read the item description: If a seller is selling an jersey with an authentic signature, he will include a lot of valuable information, including a detailed description of the item's attributes, signature location, whether it comes with a Certificate of Authentication (COA) and how the seller came to possess the jersey (some obtain athlete autographs in person and others sell licensed autographed items)
- Look at pictures : Sellers should include at least one detailed scan of an item and its Certificate of Authentication. Check out other items signed by the same athlete to verify that the autograph coincide with the one you are buying.
- Know how much to pay : Get a sense of the current market value for memorabilia by searching other similar products in eBay. The results will give you an idea of how much similar items are valued.
- Pay attention to the seller info: Check out how many transactions the seller has made and the feedback he has received. In eBay, once the buyer gets the product, he gives the seller a public feedback rating. A good seller may not have perfect positive feedback but look for a positive feedback rating of 95 to 100 percent. Read what do their buyers say in their feedback and if the seller has negative feedback it will be helpful to read it to avoid any potential issues when buying an item.
- Does the seller have a return policy? Most top eBay sellers operate like retail stores and have return policies. Do they offer a money back guarantee? Read the terms and conditions.
If it is too good to be true, always use common sense. You won't get a Michael Jordan autographed jersey for $40.